City of Melbourne CEO to step down
City of Melbourne Chief Executive Officer Ben Rimmer has announced that he will not seek a further contract with Council, and that he will leave the organisation in December 2018.
The announcement came as City of Melbourne councillors faced a deadline of September 8 for six months notice notice if they decided to replace Mr Rimmer at the end of his four year contract which ends on February 8.
Mr Rimmer said that his decision was “strengthened because, since December last year, I have believed that a consequence of the investigation into inappropriate behaviour by Robert Doyle was that I would need to leave the organisation in order to assist Councillors to move forward to normal relationships.”
"While there is much more still to be done, I am pleased that the Victorian Government has amended the Local Government Act to reduce the chance that any other CEO would find themselves in the same intolerable situation. A non-elected public servant should never be required to commission an investigation into an elected representative who is effectively their employer," Mr Rimmer said in a statement.
Lord Mayor Sally Capp said the Council acknowledged “the extraordinary challenges navigated by the CEO during this period, both regarding the investigation over the past nine months, and also regarding his own personal health challenges during 2016 and 2017."